Saturday, January 26, 2008

Why Swim the English Channel?

My friends say "I am crazy"; others are simply flabbergasted that I would attempt such a feat. They question, 'Why on Earth would you want to swim the English Channel? Don't you know that it is really cold and rough; and that it is the world's busiest shipping channel with over 600 ships plying these waters every day?" In addition, there are very strong tidal currents and swell from the open Atlantic...not to mention flotsam and jetsam and jellyfish that sting!" OK, I get it, but did I also mention that I am swimming this body of water in just a Speedo, silicone bathing cap, earplugs, goggles and an application of grease (anhydrous lanolin and vaseline to help stave off hypothermia). What a sight for sore eyes!
Why am I attempting this challenge?
This is a dream I have carried with me since my youth when I was a competitive swimmer growing up in Victoria, BC. I have been putting this goal off for years. Turning 40 has brought it a head. I want to attempt this swim while I still have the physical stamina to do it. In other words, I am using this swim to retain as much of my youth as possible. This isn't to say that I couldn't swim this body of water in my 50s or 60s. There are plenty of swimmers who have successfully swum the Channel at an older age. Hence, this challenge is more than turning 40 years of age: it is about fulfilling a lifetime dream.

1 – 1 of 1

2 comments:

M said...

ok Brent. I have a had a read of the blog to date, I havent got your email so I will ask away on here !!
my email is on my blog

who is your pilot?
I am 39 a mere slip of a boy compared to you ! but I will be swimming in August before my 40th in December..yes another Sagitarrian...will be checking back soon
Mark

darrell said...

Dear Brent,

After reading your blog, I am inspired by your dedication and commitment! I am also hoping to swim the channel myself but do not think I can do it. I would be forever grateful if you would give me your opinion whether I should make the attempt. I weigh almost 100lbs, recently achieved swimming 10 laps without stopping at my local pool and get really scared when I swim in deep water. Should I attempt to train for such a crossing or should I set my sights on something else? I really hope you are successful in your attempt and live to tell your kids about it!

Darrell