Monday, May 5, 2008

Vancouver Marathon Inspiration




My wife Joanne (far left) at KM 25 in her first marathon. She finished in 5 hours and 9 minutes!! She is an inspiration....so much so that shortly after this checkpoint, I decided to brave the 11'C (52'F) waters in my Speedo trunks. The experience went like this...
Step I: immerse self in chest-deep water and wait for body to "numb." Step II: sprint for 50 meters to stay warm. Step III or "comfortably numb" phase--settle down, relax, breath regularly and enjoy the experience. Step IV: remain conscious of the effects of hypothermia and know when to pull out. Losing dexterity & slurred speech are par for the course. Confusion, delusions and uncontrolled shivering are ominous signs. I felt really good after 20 minutes in these temperatures--definitely the coldest water I have ever swum in without a wet suit! Other than a loss of fine motor control and some slurred speech, I felt strong. I subsequently got changed and rejoined Joanne's cheering section for the last 5 KM of her marathon! We are all very proud of her accomplishment....an inspiration for my Channel attempt!

No comments: