Saturday, June 21, 2008

Six Hour Marathon Swim

June 21st 2008
Six hour training swim with friends from the Okanagan Masters Swim Club, and my wife Joanne. I could not take on a challenge of this magnitude without their support! From left to right Liezel Heigers, Mike Stamhuis, Brent Hobbs, Pascal Sutherland (back row), wife Joanne and son Connor, Carmelle Guidi-Swan and Steve Ott.

What was supposed to be a gloriously hot Okanagan summer day turned out to be overcast with intermittent rain showers and a slight breeze from the north. The water temperature was 15-16'C (59-61'F), air temperature 21'C and lake conditions were calm. I swam a total of 20.5 KM in 6 hrs. Overall, I was pleased with my performance:
  • maintained a consistent pace of 3.25-3.5 km/hr
  • held a stroke rate of 52 strokes/min. for the 1st 2 hrs; 57/min for the middle 2 hours; and finished with a rate of 63/min. for the final stretch
  • I felt a "chill" between hours 2 and 3 but found that picking up my stroke/kick rate generated some internal heat. I learned this technique from Lynne Cox (1st person to swim the Berring Strait and Antarctica--reference book Swimming to Antarctica. Temperature wise, I felt no ill effects for the last 3 hrs. Furthermore, I did not exhibit any signs of hypothermia upon exiting the water. I am very pleased about this. My cold water training sesssion have definitely paid off.
  • I was also psychologically able to "hold my swim together." I did not suffer from boredom and I did not ruminate about hot tubs. Rather, I have learned to let my "mind go free" during these long swims. Sometimes I immerse my mind in work--sorting out the priorities I need to attend to. The good news is I can quickly switch work off to concentrate on other interests such as my kids, music and the coast of France. I also like to "explore." For example, I swam above a group of under water divers; I explored submerged timbers that used to support an old ferry dock. I said hello to some big ass Carp--some 10-15 pounders down there! I also like to check out the pricey water front realestate market. There is definitely no shortage of wealthy people who own water front property out at Okanagan Centre.

All in all, I am pleased with today's results. However, I have to keep it all in context. The Lake conditions I swam in do not reflect the reality of the Channel. There was very little current, no swell and little chop. I will experience this next week when I attempt to circumnavigate Bowen Island in Howe Sound. The only factor that I need to keep an eye on is my right shoulder--it feels a little tender. I will need to follow up this matter with the good folks at Sun City Physiotherapy.


No comments: