Friday, July 18, 2008

Bon Voyage

For many years I have dreamed of swimming across the English Channel. I am so close now that I can taste it. Not surprisingly, I am being swept up in waves of emotion. All the hours I have spent training in the pool, lake and ocean; all of the research I have read on marathon swimming; the personal sacrifices I have made to get to this point; and all of the visualizing I have done in reaching out and touching the "sands of France"...all of this activity reflects who I am and the passion I have for the life aquatic. It is an emotional time. To add to this, the emails, cards and words of encouragement I am receiving from friends, family and colleagues is overwhelming! I have reconnected with friends I grew up with in this sport over 20 years ago and I have connected with some of the incredible athletes who inspired me on this journey. What is so reassuring about the messages I am receiving is that my friends' only expectation is that I try my best. No one will think less of me if I do not reach France. There are no guarantees ...Neptune will factor a big role in the outcome. Success is ultimately achieved by trying. To top things off, friends from the Okanagan Masters Swim Club threw a going away party for me (see picture above). Thanks to Coach Rob and Carmelle Swan for organizing a great party on a glorious Okanagan summer's day. I felt so supported!! To send me on my way, they presented me with a Canadian towel, a book on How to Swim Through a Mid-Life Crisis, and Channel training food in the form of chocolate to fatten me up and a six-pack of French Bier (Kronenberg circa 1875--the year Mathew Webb accomplished the first Channel crossing).

London calling..........

3 comments:

Canadiangirl68 said...

Hello this is Jaylen. I wanted to thank you for letting us use your canoe so that I could swim in the across the lake race. I did it! I had lots of fun and I want to do it again next year.

Good luck on swimming the English Channel. I hope I can meet you when you get back to Canada.

Jeanette H said...

Hi Brent
Must say that moving to Canada and Kelowna has given me a whole new lease on life! I've learnt that at 40 something you can still conquer the world by swimming across 1)firstly the Okanagan Lake and then 2) the English Channel (after a few swims criss-crossing the Lake of course) :-). No question that it will be hard, but you're prepared for it. Enjoy this experience of a lifetime! Tony & Jeanette

gordocantswim said...

Brent,
We are just geting the family ready for the TREK to France today. One last stop at Starbucks. I'd be sitting in that boat with you if I didn't have my 5 and 6 year old to tow around ....This is an excuse as I just get tremendously seasick. I will be thinking of you and checking the internet for updates if I can find access in the town of Sancerre. I wish you calm current free warm waters for your crossing.....and if all else fails just "Giver!!!!" I will catch up with you when we both return....congrats ahead of time. Perhaps I'll see you at Summerland and Connor can get his feet wet in his first tri!
Gordo et famille