Sunday, July 13, 2008

Taper Bound

July 4th 2008
How do I top my Bowen Island swim? Do I need to exceed that mileage (33 KM) before the main event? I am still 3 weeks away from my Channel attempt and it is too early to taper. In the swimming world, tapering refers to diminishing the amount of distance training. When tapering, the focus is on high quality sets with lots of rest and fine-tuning the technical aspects of my swimming in preparation for racing. This is also the time to work on psychological preparation. Speaking of which, there is that inner voice that says..."you have to keep up the distance...swimming more is better..." that needs to be put to rest. This is where professional coaching comes in handy. A good coach can evaluate your progress along a continuum and put your training into perspective. Rob Swan from Critical Speed has been very helpful in this regard. Rob understands competitive swimming; but more importantly, he understands ultra long distance racing---whatever the sport. Rob has suggested that I back off the distance this week (post Bowen Island swim) and build up next week. He reassured me that swimming more is not better at this stage of the game. "Why do you need to swim more?....You have already proven that you can do the distance...Your conditioning is there." Now the focus is to maintain my conditioning and think positively about my preparations. This is also the time to let my injuries heal. My 9.5 hr. Bowen Island swim has exacerbated the tendonitis in my right shoulder. This is another good reason Not to push the distance. I must also make an appointment with Kevin Boss at Sun City Physiotherapy. He will probably give my s*&% if I increase the mileage...another good reason to back off.

No comments: