Sunday, July 13, 2008

Maintenance Training

July 12th 2008
I have just completed my last week of "maintenance" swimming (i.e. to maintain long-distance conditioning). Last week I logged 25 km--including a 3 hr (10 km) swim. This week, I swam 29 KM--including a 4 hr. (14 km) swim. And now I can finally TAPER and gain a few pounds...what a hardship!

Summary of training experiences over the last two weeks:
  1. July 5th (Saturday morning brunch series at our house)
  • Every summer, the Okanagan Masters Swim Club hosts a series of Saturday morning training swims in the lake. This is followed by a hearty brunch and social time with my fellow swimmers. When it comes to the workout component, no-one is much interested in swimming for 3 hrs straight. Thankfully Mike Stamhuis (AKA the "old man") joined me for 2.5 hrs. Mike is an amazing swimmer. He is in his late 50s and consistently breaks Canadian Records in long distance freestyle and backstroke events. He recently finished 2nd overall at the World Open Water Masters Swimming Championships in Perth. Although he is dubbed the "old man," truth is, he is faster than most competitive swimmers half his age. I am very thankful to have the opportunity to train with Mike. He is a fierce competitor and raises the bar everytime we work out. In other words, Mike keeps us humble by kicking our assess on a consistent basis. Mike has swum at least 50 KM with me in the lake over the last year.
  • This particular brunch swim was 10 km in length. I am amazed that I was able to swim this distance so soon after my Bowen Island swim. This just goes to show how training and preparation can assist the body to adapt to such physical stresses. Last year at this time, it took me over a week to recover from a 6 hr. training swim.

2. July 10th

  • I happen to be in Cranbrook for work-related meetings. Following which, I asked my colleagues where I could 'jump into a lake?" I get the typical response....."Are you kidding?" "We were happy with your input....Don't feel like you have to jump into a lake..." To which a replied...."I was happy with our productivity too....it's just that I am training for this little swim and I need a cold lake to swim in." Fortunately, Cranbrook is situated in the Rocky Mountain trench in South Eastern BC. It is a beautiful place with pristine, and yes, cold lakes. I travelled 15 min. west to Moyie Lake for an epic swim.
  • When I arrived, campers were scurrying for cover. The skies opened up with buckets of rain, and the wind was blowing on shore at 20-25 knots. Perfect conditions for a Channel training session. Donning my Speedo, I calmly walked to the lake--much to the surprise of onlookers--and swam head-on into the swell. Being a lake, the swell is of short duration (2-3 second intervals). It makes for very "choppy' conditions or what meteorologists would call a "small craft warning." This means that the conditions are unsafe for small boats...But for Channel swimmers...?
  • The trick to swimming in these conditions is to find a rhythm in sync with the waves. To this effect, I time my breaths before the wave crests and burry my head under the wave in an effort to propel me out the other side. This action is what surfers call the "duck dive." It is how surfers paddle out beyond huge breaking waves. The other technical thing I do in these conditions is straighten my front crawl arm recovery. This enables me to reach past cresting waves. Conversely, if I recover with a bent arm, I risk my stroke being interrupted in mid-stream by a breaking wave.
  • Once I was in the middle of the lake, I took a few minutes to take in the sights while floating on my back. There was a deluge of rain from above; and yet again, I was surrounded by towering mountains. It was a "Zen" moment....very peaceful, relaxing and invigorating.
  • The temperature was around 17'C which was very pleasant. From here I returned to shore....this time with the swell at my back. If only I could be so lucky to have these conditions swimming into France (highly unlikely). The trick to swimming "with" the swell is to maintain a low centre of gravity in the water...just like surfers do when catching waves. If my timing is right, I can "body surf" the swell to my advantage. Besides getting you to your end-point faster, it is a lot of fun. There is no sense training for the Channel if I am not going to have fun doing it.

3. July 13th

  • My last big swim (4 hrs in Kalamalka Lake in Vernon)
  • Kalamalka Lake is a beautiful turquoise-colored lake surrounded by the Monashee Mountains to the east and desert Okanagan hillside to the west. This was the second swim in our club's brunch series. I started (this time by myself) at 0520 just as the sun was rising. It was another idyllic setting: As the sun was rising over the Monashees, there were 3 Bald Eagles circling overhead--hopefully not eyeing me for breakfast! I felt very strong and my shoulder passed the test. Kevin Boss (my physiotherapist at Sun City Physiotherapy) has created a shoulder-strengthening program for me (i.e. low resistance stretches using surgical tubing). It seems to be doing the trick.
  • Similar to last week, I was joined by other members of the Masters Club for the last 4 km. We had a blast. We came up with an obstacle course on the west side of the lake. We had to swim to a succession of rafts; and at each one, we had to climb out, run across, and dive back in. From there, we swam to the raft with the giant water-slide and slid down it in style! We were kids out there.....having fun and getting some exercise.
  • A scrumptious brunch followed at Mike & Trish Stamhuis' place. Being Dutch, Mike cooked up some very tasty pannekoeks. After that hearty meal, I relished in the fact that my distance training has come to a close. Now I can rest and taper for the big swim.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats On your Bowen Island Swim





Talked to Rod after your swim and he said it was great. We have put a link to your blog on the new Vancouver Open Water Swim Association (VOWSA) website. All of our VOWSA members wish you the best in your attempt to cross the English Channel. We hope the SEA GODS are on your side and we will be following your postings closely.



Jim C

Wolfgang Zorr said...

GOOD LUCK BRENT!!!

WE'LL BE PULLING WITH YA ALL THE WAY FROM HOUSTON, TEXAS

GO BABY GO, MIKE & ANETTE MCINTYRE

Kelownagurl said...

Wow, what an interesting blog, and an amazing challenge. I wish you the best of luck (next week ?) and will be checking back to see how it all turns out!!

Erased said...

Hi Brent

I just wanted to let you know that your blog as been a great help, and inspiration so far. I'm learning so much on how to swim and prepare for the English Channel.

I have lots more questions for you, but i've lost your email.

I hope all is super well with you

Allison Donelon